"They’ll be chasing after you"

In my childhood I was told "Sophie, all the boys will be chasing after you”. Though reality has been different; most people don’t want to commit to the exercise.



All bragging aside, I am more than adequate. I don’t want to give the wrong impression. I am fairly pretty, funny, intelligent, or so I’ve been told. However, there has not been as much running as expected. Boys in the real world, outside my television screen and the pages of a book, have been very different to those of fiction. They aren't chasing after me.

There are far fewer grand romantic gestures and heart melting lines than I previously thought. Though the taking off of ‘Netflix and chill’ makes me far more uncomfortable than any romantic comedy fairy-tale ending. Older generations complain about the extent to which technology has taken over our lives, and now it’s even taken over our love lives. I have no problem with the Netflix part. What would be great, for me at least, is someone to pay for my Netflix subscription? My month free trial is up, leaving a Netflix shaped void in my heart I cannot fill. Far greater than that of any boy.

Honestly, I wouldn’t want it. Romance, in reality, makes me cringe. The tall, handsome, cliché guys that make most girls swoon don’t interest me at all. Individuality always wins, and even when someone unique appears a little advice; don’t use some line. I’ve been harassed on the street enough to tell you it doesn’t work. For those of you in couples, too much affection in public doesn’t make my heart flutter but my stomach turn. Sorry, I promise I’m not a cynic.

I have never wanted to rush out and find myself a boyfriend. Life is complicated enough and other things have always been more important; studies, work, friends. I have no problem for people who do, though I could never cope. If you want or care for my advice, it is so important you sort yourself out before being with anyone else. Be selfish. 

Don’t wait for things to run towards you. It goes for people and opportunities, you need to go out and get them yourself. But make sure the cause is worthy.

Also, I’d love someone to pay for my Netflix.

Comments

  1. I will pay for your Netflix

    ww.laurcaud.co.uk lifestyle blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "However, there has not been as much running as expected. Boys in the real world, outside my television screen and the pages of a book, have been very different to those of fiction."

    Couldn't agree more with this line of yours! Haha!

    And this one!

    "I have never wanted to rush out and find myself a boyfriend. Life is complicated enough."

    Totally agree. They say girls are complicated. Boys ain't that easy to figure out or handle either.

    Anyway, I really enjoyed reading this post!(: I had to quote a few lines, sorry the formatting looks strange!

    xx Mei

    { A Little Yellow Sunflower }

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, it's really cool to have my work quoted! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts