Females in Fifa

Maybe grab a cup of tea for this one, I recommend the Waterstones Cafe- it is adorable.



I'm worried about writing this as the backlash against the decision has been so severe. However, something needs to be said. Or I suppose, in this case, written.

The Fifa 2016 game has been announced to contain female players. Shock, horror, or it’s about time. As many fans fall into dismay over the degradation of their sacred game we must remember one thing; it’s a choice. You can choose in the game whether you want to be a male or female player. Like most games, this means the game doesn't have to be changed at all if you don’t want to play as a woman. So, what’s all the problem? It is merely the presence of women within the game that has appeared to be offensive.

Though what's the opposition to females in Fifa? Cries of ‘feminism has gone too far this time’ have been dragged out to mock the decision. Social media was overrun with comments on the announcement; some positive and some not so much. The game has the opportunity to promote women’s football and the lesser appreciated sport would hugely benefit from the exposure and publicity. Through the game, all young people could be encouraged to be part of football. The inclusion of women is surely a more authentic version of football. There are female footballers in reality, so why not in gaming? What fan wouldn't want that? Ok, so maybe women’s football isn't as popular. Maybe it never will be. But then why is it so threatening? The opportunity is more than warranted for the female athletes. I certainly don’t mean to establish a male/female divide in this discussion. By no means does gender dictate your opinion, in this case, or any other.

So, is it the alteration of a long-standing 'traditional' game, is it sexism, is it popularity? Is it wrong to have female footballers in the Fifa 2016 game? 

That’s all it is, just a game. But it's one I'm tired of playing.

-Sophie


What are your thoughts? Should there be female players in Fifa 16? 

Comments

  1. I'm not so big fan of FIFA, so for me it's quite new. But I have to say, that your article is very good and I like the Blog!

    Cheers, Eliza | www.fashion-confession.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not either really I just thought it was important. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  2. I don't quite understand why anyone would say it's offensive to have women's football included in the game, that's quite strange to me. I think a lot of people just like having something to bitch and moan about...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing post dear!

    www.bloglovin.com/blogs/printed-sea-3880191

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know anything about this, and I heart feminism, and it has done well to rile me up. I mean seriously, how can feminism ever go too far? There is no such thing? You can't over do equality. You're either equal or your not. It's just ridiculous, yes of course you should be able to be a female foot player. It's not stopping you from being a male footballer? Surely fifa would make money out of a higher coverage of womens football anyway if they wanted to. I'm just going to stop myself here before I write an essay! Glad you brought this up :) xxxx

    http://gbeautyblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts