REVIEW: The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Whatever you do, read this book. (Though only if you are a mature reader and 16+ as it contains some difficult topics, sorry.)


A book based on a broken teenage boy, it shows the power of hope and friendship. More than that, it justifies being a teenager. Criticised and generalised teens are often condemned by adults. Adults always have and always will be scared of the youth. It’s simply now, they happen to carry iPhones. 

But The Perks of Being a Wallflower makes the 'Teen Age' so much more. Yes, you may have to ignore the drugs and parties a little but it’s not just about that. Sam and Patrick, the Slut and the Falcon, are the two best friends of Charlie. They break stereotypes and expectations through their pursuit of living life to the full. Set in an American high school it demonstrates the different aspects of their lives beyond the confinement of education.

It is filled with heartbreak. It’s terrible and upsetting but it’s not hopeless. It is a story of recovery.

Filled with uncertainty and inner conflict being a teenager is not exceptionally pleasant to live through. Whether we are accepted as adults paying extortionate prices for the bus, or children whose opinions are uneducated and irrelevant, we are still teenagers. Sorry, that may be a little strong, but as a teenager sometimes the title is awfully restrictive and far from the truth.  The Perks of Being a Wallflower recognises this. It is never patronising or condescending in its representation of youth which makes it a welcome surprise. All the characters are just searching for something. Sam a place at a good college and her independence. Charlie friends and stability. Patrick, well he’s just Patrick.

I don’t want to ruin it for anyone but there is one quote I think is awfully important, but often forgotten.

‘This one moment when you know you’re not a sad story. You are alive.’

No one is a sad story. It may be a sad chapter, but the story is not over.


-Sophie

What is your favourite book? I can never pick just one...

Comments

  1. What a great book review! I really feel like I want to go out and grab this book now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You should do, also the film is brilliant.

      Delete
  2. A lovely review :)
    I've seen the film but never read the book!
    Maybe I should - love the picture by the way.

    The Everyday Life of Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think the book is even better!

      Delete
  3. I've heard great things about this book and seriously need to read it after reading this! My personal favourite book is 'Me Before You' by Jojo Moyes - a real tear jerker!

    Much love,

    Alex

    x

    http://alexallisonxox.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will add it to my list of holiday books to read!

      Delete
  4. This is a book I keep meaning to read <3 Thank you for the follow on bloglovin' by the way <3 Gisforgingers xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must do it's one of my favourites! That's ok, i'm over on https://www.bloglovin.com/people/sophiebunce-13378981 give me a follow if you can. x

      Delete
  5. I haven't read this book yet! I love finding books that you can read time and time again and have so many on my list that I just haven't gotten round to reading yet!

    Layla xx

    www.sprinklesofstyle.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard good things about this book before but haven't read or watch it before, After reading this review I am so intrigue on reading it! thanks for sharing I need to get the copy asap. Do you want to support each other's blog by following each other?:) Please let me know if you do so I can follow you right back x

    kisses

    http://www.theclosetelf.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts