Fashion Says No: the end of the cleavage

Hands up if you’re a B cup? Well, I’m surrounded by double D’s. In a society where Vogue claims big boobs have fallen out of fashion; what does this mean for me?



I like who I am and what I look like. So, for me, it’s really not a problem. But I know not everyone feels the same. My mother once told me if I had bigger boobs than her I would be sleeping in the shed. I assure you she was joking. But it shows the importance a part of my body has in my life.  Boobs come with a lot of extras. Women are told when is fine to get their chest out and when they should be away. Beaches are fine. Breastfeeding is not. If they’re sexualised it’s okay. But being used practically is a no. Now we are told they're unfashionable. They are a burden from the beginning. At least they were for me. Please tell me that every girl has gone through the painful process of an M&S measuring? Just me. Thanks, Mum.

Fashion has deemed smaller bra sizes popular because of cute bralettes and plunging necklines flattering a flatter chest. But can anatomy fall out of fashion? It’s ridiculous to claim part of women’s bodies is no longer popular to look at. That the cleavage has left us. That there is any choice for women in the matter. The idea of popular body parts suggests that women can mould and change themselves to fit fashion's desires. Which, on behalf of women, I feel is fair to call untrue. Though this tells women and girls that they should try.  We are adaptable, brilliant and intelligent, so I am sure women will find a way to fulfil the lesser chest criteria. That worries me.

What is laughable is that the size of your chest means nothing. When I go for a job my bra size doesn’t feature on my CV. Similarly, when I meet new people, when I go food shopping, when I live my everyday life - no one is concerned by my bra. But the media is. Cleavage is out, small boobs are in and the female population better keep up. The past gave us padded bras to pretend we are what we are not. The future is equally concerning.

Fashion identifies trends and right now that might not include you. But who likes following the crowd? Big or small, own your body and forget what’s in fashion. It will change its mind soon anyway.

Comments

  1. My chest size is 30D which can sound like I'm rocking a rack but believe me it's not even a spice rack. I have recently started wearing bralettes but being 5"6 thin and a pixie hair cut I should feel like I'm on tread when in fact I feel flat chested and boyish. Fashion is a mine field! I love my boobs in padding or lace.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts