Don't Be My Valentine

Surprise, surprise, she doesn't like Valentine's Day. She also doesn't like animals. Shocker.

Honestly, it's not because I'm single because at 17 I hardly see that as a problem. It's not because I hate love either, I just mildly dislike it. It's because the entire concept of V Day is false.

Valentine's Day originates from some guy a long time ago becoming a martyr; not very romantic. I doubt that while St Valentine was brutally murdered he thought, I hope someone gets a teddy bear out of this and a maybe box of chocolates. At least then my life will have been worth something. I like to think that he had bigger ambitions.



But here we are again. Valentines day is an all-consuming phase of February. Correct me if I'm wrong, but since when did love become a once a year occasion? In Tesco, I am surrounded, cards on my left, gifts on my right, and all I wanted was some shampoo. But in February everything comes in couple's sets, they don't sell shampoo for singles,.

If this harassment isn't enough in person, it's provided for free on the internet. I am bombarded by emails telling me to get my gift for the special man in my life and buy the new dress I need for my date. Shops with huge marketing campaigns tell you if you don't buy this you will be unhappy. If you're not in love you're unhappy. But that isn't the case at all. Marks and Spencer I don't need your dine in for two, Pandora I'll buy my own ring and Urban Outfitters I don't need those shoes for a date. But maybe I need them for sixth form...

Unfortunately, this horrid holiday enforces the idea that romantic love is superior to friendship. I don't know if it is modern society or the media which educates us, but love is not all your life is for. People say 'just' friends, but friendship isn't 'just' anything. Boyfriends and girlfriends will come and go, especially at 17, but friends stick around. Anyway, A levels are enough to cope with without having to consider just how much to spend on the tacky card Tesco said I needed.

Valentines isn't all bad, it can be quite nice, but it comes down to why you're doing it. If you want to get your partner a gift, cool. If you want to give them a card too, that's all right. But don't do it because pink and red splattered consumerism told you too. And don't make me do it either. I think that's a good message all year round.


Comments

Popular Posts