We don't do 'regular'

I work in a coffee shop. So I say this hundreds of times. We don't do 'regular'. Small, medium, large. Primo, medio, grande. No, we don't do 'normal' either or 'average'. Please don't ask me for a regular coffee, I don't know what that means. Actually, I do, it means nothing. It doesn't exist.

This isn't only about coffee if you'd hadn't already guessed. Honestly, I don't even like coffee. This is about people.



It seems as a teenager people strive to be normal and fit in. They try to be regular. Though I never did and that's not for any one reason. I just didn't know how and so I never tried that hard. My slightly too posh voice, my disproportionately long arms and opinionated attitude meant that it wasn't really possible either. I always felt like I stuck out. Maybe I didn't, maybe no one noticed me at all. But I never felt 'regular'.

The concept of being 'normal' makes me uncomfortable because I wish people wanted to be utterly themselves. Self-confidence, perhaps overconfidence at times, is not a bad thing, Being unapologetically enthusiastic about something is far better than being nonchalant. 'Regular' may feel easier but it means you have no identity. It is no compliment for someone to introduce their new normal friend Sophie. You know her, just regular Sophie. How incredibly dull.

Also, it is so subjective. Society dictates what is regular and what is normal. But this is just a fad, just a trend, just fashion. 'Regular' is not sustainable so feels fake and forced. Who wants that? Regular isn't real, in coffee, in you, in anything.

And if you've been ordering a regular until now, perhaps you should try a new coffee.

Comments

Popular Posts