Not Your Bond Girl

The 'Bond Girl' concept upsets me. The portrayal of women in Bond upsets me. I thought we had passed this.



Firstly, I'd like to say, I don't like the 'Bond girl' title. These are not girls, these are women and it feels derogatory not to acknowledge that. Though I'll use it to avoid confusion.

In 2015 you'd have hoped the submissive stereotype of star-struck women and the mysterious spy would have ended. I was told it had. I was misinformed. I had heard that Spectre was the film to witness not one, but two Bond girls like no other. That these strong, independent, unique women would hold their own against the renowned James Bond. But they showed very typically Bond behaviour.

The first Bond girl was Monica Belluccian and she was on screen for maybe ten minutes. I understand different actors get different screen time, there seemed enough for numerous explosions, but no character development for her. The worst part has been the media's fixation on her age. She is not an older woman, she is an appropriate age for James Bond and he would be lucky to have her. Even Daniel Craig was reported to have jarred with journalists and stated that for once he was pleased to see an age-appropriate match for Bond. 

Then we have another; beautiful, classy and well educated. But Léa Seydoux was broken by Bond. The girl who at first turned Bond away, shot the bad guys herself and told him she would not stand for his lifestyle, just gave up. There was no discussion, only her thinking; well I suppose I might as well. I was disappointed in her. I didn't mind some of the cliches like her seductive walk down the train in an obviously figure hugging dress. I thought she looked empowered and confident, it was her falling into bed with him that I minded. The attitude seemed to be that it’s ok because it's Bond.

I like this genre of film and I liked the actors. I just didn't like leaving the cinema with the feeling the women had been done an injustice. 

Just once I would like a woman to say no to James Bond. Maybe it will have to be me.


Comments

  1. An interesting idea but isn't that the format of a bond movie? A man who is irresistible to women? Surely one could see this as a commentary on the arrogant view men have of themselves rather than a comment on the weakness of women? Also this is a format that has been going since the 1960s at a time in which women were objectified far more than they are today (not to say they aren't today) but the films only work if they follow the formula. I'm not agreeing with the way they presented female characters at all in spectre, quite the contrary, for the most part I agree with you. However u think it's interesting to consider a different perspective

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A man can be irresistible to women and not a sexist. I agree it could be a documentary of sorts, but one we have all seen too many times. The Bond films have a formula but why not switch it up? Surely that would make for a more striking film? I'm glad you agree, for the most part. Honestly I like seeing different perspectives and can understand yours. Though this particular presentation of women has become boring. Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  2. So, for me, I got a lot more annoyed over Lea Seydoux's character than Monica Bellucci's. I don't necessarily think that it's okay that Bond took advantage of Bullicci's character's vulnerable position, don't get me wrong, but her succumbing to him did make some sense, she needed to be and feel safe. Again, he took advantage, but it seemed more acceptable than with Seydoux's character. I wanted SO BADLY for her to deny him. Or even to have their moment on the train (adrenaline?) then continue being her strong self would have sufficed. The only positive was that it is implied that Bond gives something of his life up in the end for her. It doesn't make up for the sudden shift in her personality, but it was something (I like to tell myself). Bond needs a makeover in this area so badly.

    Erin
    http://sexycardi.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, I found your thoughts really interesting.

      Delete
  3. Off topic but I love your jumper - the colour and knit! Checking out your blog from #fblchat! xx

    Jasmine || http://www.blogsallbeautyy.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts